Amsterdam → Amsterdam
Find out about Holland in the very best way by cruising along one of the special, extensive waterways that form an elaborate network stretching throughout the country.
You will glide past almost endless tulip fields and see many small picturesque places in the course of quite a number of memorable excursions. In addition to visiting Amsterdam other highlights of this cruise include the cities of Ghent, Antwerp, Rotterdam and Brussels.
What is included in the tour
- City tour of Amsterdam including canal boat tour and flower market
- North Holland excursion
- "The Bridge of Arnhem" and visit to the Airborne Museum Hartenstein
- City tour of Arnhem and open-air museum
- Guided tour of the Delta Works and Veere
- Middelburg walking tour
- City Tour of Ghent
- City Tour of Bruges
- City tour of Antwerp
- City Tour of Brussels
- City Tour Rotterdam
- Excursion to Kinderdijk
- Visit to the Keukenhof Flower Gardens
- Fascinating river cruise in on outside river-view stateroom of your choice, most with French balcony or drop-down panoramic windows; Walk-out balconies in suites on Amadeus Queen, Silver I, II & III
- Complimentary state-of-the-art audio headsets for all excursions
- Services of an experienced, multilingual Cruise Director
- Gourmet dining with all meals included (buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack) in the elegant Panorama-Restaurant, which accommodates all guests in one seating
- Free-flowing quality red & white wines from Europe’s famous wine regions with every dinner on board
- Coffee and tea after lunch and dinner
- 24-hour complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner and Captain’s Gala Dinner
- Special onboard entertainment including lectures, cooking demonstration, onboard music performances
- and nightly music by the Amadeus Duo in the Panorama Bar
- Complimentary use of onboard bicycles
- Non-smoking environment (smoking permitted on the Sun Deck)
- All port taxes and local taxes
This afternoon, embark and settle into your cabin. This evening, join us for a Welcome Cocktail, followed by a specially-prepared Welcome Dinner. A Traditional Shanty Choir performance onboard makes a perfect beginning to your journey.
After a restful night on board, set off to see the sights of one of the most unique cities in Europe. Beautiful bridges connect numerous parts of the city which is divided by hundreds of canals and waterways, lined with 17th century architecture. Be sure to stop by the Oude Kerk (Old Church), the oldest building in the city or perhaps stop by the Anne Frank House - the day is yours to explore. Enjoy a delicious dinner onboard after which the vessel departs Amsterdam.
Breakfast is served as the vessel arrives in the city of Arnhem. Located in the eastern part of the Netherlands, Arnhem is a bustling city with plenty to offer, including a rich heritage including the famous John Frost Bridge - a 'bridge too far' during the Battle of Arnhem, the Airborne Museum of Hartenstein and an open air museum which recounts daily life in Arnhem. You can also visit the Burgers’ Zoo, the most-visited zoo in the Netherlands. Back on board, enjoy dinner as we cruise to the Capital of Zeeland.
After a morning spent cruising the waterways, we arrive in the picturesque town of Middelburg. In the Golden Age (17th c), the Dutch East India Company flourished, evidenced by the merchant houses and storefronts that line the canals. For a feat of modern technology, visit the impressive Delta Works. This expansive series of dams was built to protect the area against flooding and high tides. Several original windmills still stand on the outskirts of town, representing another innovative technology of a bygone era.
Overnight, cross the border into Belgium and reach the city of Ghent, where your vessel will remain anchored for the day. Ghent is the country’s third largest city and one of Belgium’s best kept secrets. Home to the beautiful St. Bavo Cathedral and the famous Ghent Altarpiece, Ghent is also home to numerous other museums. There is something for everyone. Another beautiful city worth visiting is nearby Bruges, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visit the Basilica of the Holy Blood with its holy relic – a vial of blood – that is said to be that of Jesus. Or perhaps visit the Groeninge Museum with its collection of artwork that spans several centuries. This evening, join your fellow travelers for dinner.
Wake up in this beautiful Belgian port city, one of the largest ports in the world. Famous for its diamond trade, Antwerp is also home to numerous cultural jewels. Among them, the Cathedral of Our Lady with paintings by the famous Baroque artist Peter Paul Rubens, including the Raising of the Cross and the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, is not to be missed. Spend the afternoon in Antwerp following individual pursuits or venture to the nearby capital city of Brussels, a major center for international politics. This evening enjoy the Captain’s Gala Dinner.
On today’s return to the Netherlands, we arrive at another major port city - Rotterdam. This vibrant city has a strong maritime history as well as bold, modern, architecture. Nearby, the historic windmills of Kinderdijk are a good example of the rich history of the Netherlands and are in contrast to the modern city.
This afternoon explore this dynamic city or perhaps venture to the Keukenhof Flower Gardens. This beautiful park features more tulips in flower than anywhere else in the world. Over 7 million bulbs are planted here annually, with visitors from around the world coming to explore the 9-and-a-half-mile network of footpaths, including the largest sculpture park in the Netherlands. Later this evening, the vessel sets off for its final port of call - Amsterdam.
After breakfast, we bid you farewell. We hope to welcome you back again soon!