Rhine & Danube Symphony
Cologne → Passau
This one-week cruise combines the two great European rivers Rhine and Danube in an exciting and impressive way. The scenic highlights are the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, with its numerous castles, and the tranquil Main meanders. In terms of culture and history, you can admire the half-timbered buildings of Miltenberg and Wertheim, as well as the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Würzburg, Bamberg and Regensburg. An experience in itself is also the journey on the man-made Main-Danube Canal, a stunning technological marvel.
What is included in the tour
- Rüdesheim walking tour incl. music cabinet museum
- Miltenberg und Wertheim walking tours
- Würzburg walking tour incl. wine tasting
- Excursion to Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Bamberg walking tour
- City Tour Nuremberg
- Regensburg walking tour
- Excursion to Weltenburg Abbey
- Fascinating river cruise in on outside river-view stateroom of your choice, most with French balcony or drop-down panoramic windows; Walk-out balconies in Suites on Amadeus Silver III
- Complimentary state-of-the-art audio headsets for all excursions
- Services of an experienced, multilingual Cruise Director
- Gourmet dining with all meals included (buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack) in the elegant Panorama-Restaurant, which accommodates all guests in one seating
- Free-flowing quality red & white wines from Europe’s famous wine regions with every dinner on board
- Coffee and tea after lunch and dinner
- 24-hour complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner and Captain’s Gala Dinner
- Special onboard entertainment including lectures, cooking demonstration, onboard music performances
- and nightly music by the Amadeus Duo in the Panorama Bar
- Complimentary use of onboard bicycles
- Non-smoking environment (smoking permitted on the Sun Deck)
- All port taxes and local taxes
The beautiful city of Cologne is a wonderful starting point for your 8-day European cruise. After embarkation, enjoy an evening Welcome Cocktail, followed by a carefully prepared Welcome Dinner.
After a relaxing morning onboard, the vessel arrives in Rüdesheim, a picturesque winemaking town in the Rhine Gorge. The romantic river landscape of the Middle Rhine Valley has enchanted visitors for centuries and has therefore been included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites since 2002. Discover the region's rich history of winemaking, perhaps by visiting the local museum – a great place to start! Back on board, enjoy a delicious dinner with your fellow travelers
Today, choose to remain onboard for a relaxing day or join our optional excursion in the afternoon to Miltenberg and Wertheim, two towns famous for their architecture and museums. Both are unique in their own way and are reflective of the storied history of the area. Begin with a walking tour in Miltenberg, its timber-frame houses give a feeling of 16th and 17thc Germany. In Wertheim, explore the medieval streets and unique glass museum. This evening, enjoy another memorable meal as the ship plies the waters toward our next stop.
Today, visit Würzburg, a city in Bavaria known for lavish baroque and rococo architecture, located in the center of the Franconian wine country. Experience the many beautiful sights of the town such as the marketplace, the Maria Chapel and the old main bridge, the Marienberg Fortress and the surrounding vineyards. As the central hub for wine in this part of Germany, Würzburg is the perfect place to visit some of the local wineries for tastings. From Würzburg, you can venture to nearby Rothenburg ob der Tauber, one of the most perfectly preserved medieval towns in Europe. Its towers, city gates, walls, and half-timbered gables have remained unchanged since the Thirty Years’ War. Return to the ship and continue down the river Main.
The morning is spent cruising the beautiful Main River. After lunch arrive in the beautiful Imperial city of Bamberg. This medieval town is a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, which retains its medieval layout of three settlement areas, along with its historic buildings and Baroque facades. As you take in the seven hills of Bamberg, each topped with a stunning church, enjoy a beer from one of the many local breweries. This evening, join a talk about the creation and importance of the Rhine-Main-Danube canal as we enter the waterway to cross onto the Danube River.
Following breakfast, enjoy your day in Nuremberg. Consider a visit to the romantic Old Town of Nuremberg, lovingly restored after the destruction incurred during World War II. Back on board, it’s full steam ahead and the Captain’s Gala Dinner.
A morning arrival brings your Amadeus river vessel to one of Germany’s most well preserved medieval cities. This UNESCO world heritage site boasts architecture from many centuries, reflective of its varied history throughout the years. The stone bridge, built in 1135–1146, the Church of St James, the Schloss of Thurn and Taxis, and Patrician houses are a few of the highlights of this beautiful city. Perhaps sample a Regensburg bratwurst or search for the famous black forest cukoo clocks, there is something for everyone.In the afternoon, you can choose to visit the Weltenburg Abbey, about 25 miles west of Regensburg and housing the oldest monastic brewery in the world. This eveningoffers a special Bavarian theme, celebrating the wonderful region cruised thus far.
This morning your vessel arrives in lower Bavaria, in the three-rivers city of Passau. After a generous breakfast, the entire AMADEUS crew thanks you for your patronage, bids you farewell and wishes you a safe journey home. We hope to welcome you again soon!