Magic of Advent on the Rhine
Cologne → Cologne
At this most contemplative time of year, you can enter a real winter fairytale. Visit the best Christmas Markets along the Rhine, explore some sleepy little towns and riverscapes, warm yourself with a delicious glass of mulled wine on board and immerse yourself in the wonderful traditions of the pre-Christmas period.
15% Early Booking Bonus
for all 2018 sailings booked by November 30 2017!
What is included in the tour
- Koblenz walking tour
- Speyer walking tour
- City Tour of Strasbourg
- Wintry Alsace and Obernai
- Mainz walking tour incl. Gutenberg Museum
- Fascinating river cruise in on outside river-view stateroom of your choice, most with French balcony or drop-down panoramic windows; Walk-out balconies in suites on Amadeus Silver I, II & III
- Complimentary state-of-the-art audio headsets for all excursions
- Services of an experienced, multilingual Cruise Director
- Gourmet dining with all meals included (buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack) in the elegant Panorama-Restaurant, which accommodates all guests in one seating
- Free-flowing quality red & white wines from Europe’s famous wine regions with every dinner on board
- Coffee and tea after lunch and dinner
- 24-hour complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner and Captain’s Gala Dinner
- Special onboard entertainment including lectures, cooking demonstration, onboard music performances and nightly music by the Amadeus Duo in the Panorama Bar
- Complimentary use of onboard bicycles
- Non-smoking environment (smoking permitted on the Sun Deck)
- All port taxes and local taxes
Join us on a fun-filled journey and experience the enchanting Rhine region in winter! The embarkation begins in the afternoon in Cologne. After exploring your festively decorated AMADEUS ship, our team will welcome you with a welcome cocktail. In the evening, enjoy the welcome dinner on board before the ship takes course on Koblenz.
One of the oldest and most beautiful in Germany, the charming town of Koblenz is situated at the confluence of the Mosel and the Rhine Rivers. Many of its cultural landmarks are UNESCO World Heritage Sites, which are best explored during a guided sightseeing walk. Enjoy the Christmas spell of this Rhine jewel before returning to your ship for a tasty lunch. Spend the afternoon relaxing on board and enjoy a spectacular view of the most beautiful section of the Rhine: the Upper Middle Rhine Valley is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is also a dream in the winter. Do not miss the passage of the fabled Lorelei Rock! Join your fellow travellers for a delightful dinner.
Before breakfast, your ship arrives in the former imperial town of Speyer, which you can explore during the course of a guided sightseeing tour in the morning. In the Middle Ages, Speyer was the sovereign heart of the Holy Roman Empire. Today, Speyer impresses with its rich cultural offerings, its Mediterranean flair and its cosmopolitanism. The visit to the traditional Christmas market will put you in a festive mood: the smell of gingerbread, mulled wine and roasted almonds will enchant you! Enjoy the contemplative Advent mood before the ship leaves for the next port-of-call after dinner.
Arrive in Strasbourg in the morning and feel the Christmas flair of this city. The city is home to the most important European institutions: the Council of Europe, the European Parliament and the European Court of Human Rights. In the morning, you can enjoy a city tour of Strasbourg's sights and visit the traditional Christmas market. It was in Strasbourg in 1570 that the very first edition of the oldest Christmas market in Europe took place, then called the "Christkindelsmärik" (market of the Infant Jesus). Since this time, Strasbourg has continued the tradition of a traditional, authentic, warm and generous Alsatian Christmas market. After lunch, a trip to wintry Alsace and the romantic city of Obernai is offered. Late in the evening the ship leaves France again and takes course to Germany
Christmas lights are also waiting for you in Mainz, where your ship arrives at midday. In the afternoon you have the opportunity to admire the old town with its many historical buildings. This town boasts not only numerous monuments but also the Gutenberg Museum which, with its exciting collections and its history of printing, books and writing, offers an insight into the printing technology that Johannes Gutenberg invented in the 15th century. After the excursion you will return on board, where you can expect an elegant captain's gala dinner, where our chef will spoil you with festive delicacies, before returning to Cologne at night.
After breakfast on board, disembark and begin your homeward journey. We wish you a pleasant and safe journey, and a happy festive season! We hope to welcome you again soon!