Classical Rhine Cruise
Basel → Amsterdam
A voyage up "Old Father Rhine", probably Europe's most important waterway, from Basel, the gateway to the Swiss Alps, to Amsterdam on the North Sea. We travel through four of Europe's most important countries (Holland, Germany, France and Switzerland), see incomparable cities (Amsterdam, Cologne, Strasbourg, and Basel), and enjoy diverse landscapes such as the cruise across Holland's Ijsselmeer and along the Lorelei stretch of the Rhine with its wealth of mythological associations.
* For the cruise departure on the 06.06.2018 is the itinerary slightly changed
What is included in the tour
- City Tour of Strasbourg
- Alsace and wine excursion
- Speyer walking tour
- Excursion to Heidelberg
- Rüdesheim walking tour incl. music cabinet museum
- Koblenz walking tour
- Cochem walking tour with wine tasting
- Cologne walking tour
- Excursion North Holland and city tour of Amsterdam with canal trip
- Fascinating river cruise in on outside river-view stateroom of your choice, most with French balcony or drop-down panoramic windows; Walk-out balconies in suites on Amadeus Queen, Silver I, II & III
- Complimentary state-of-the-art audio headsets for all excursions
- Services of an experienced, multilingual Cruise Director
- Gourmet dining with all meals included (buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack) in the elegant Panorama-Restaurant, which accommodates all guests in one seating
- Free-flowing quality red & white wines from Europe’s famous wine regions with every dinner on board
- Coffee and tea after lunch and dinner
- 24-hour complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner and Captain’s Gala Dinner
- Special onboard entertainment including lectures, cooking demonstration, onboard music performances
- and nightly music by the Amadeus Duo in the Panorama Bar
- Complimentary use of onboard bicycles
- Non-smoking environment (smoking permitted on the Sun Deck)
- All port taxes and local taxes
Your journey begins in Basel, the third-largest city in Switzerland. After embarking, you can explore your AMADEUS ship and meet the cruise director on board at a Welcome Cocktail. Your floating hotel departs for Strasbourg shortly before the Welcome Dinner on board.
During the night, your ship left Switzerland and followed the Rhine into the Alsace region in the south of France. During breakfast, arrive in Strasbourg – a city known not only for its romantic old town, but also for the numerous important European institutions housed there. In the morning, explore the city independently, or as part of an organised tour. A detour to the countryside is highly recommended, particularly along the famous wine route, where the quaint wine-growing villages will delight wine-lovers and the general public alike. Late tonight, your ship departs for Germany.
Before breakfast, arrive in the Rhineland-Palatinate town of Speyer, which played an important role in the Holy Roman Empire during the Middle Ages. Your ship remains here until lunchtime, offering time to explore this historic destination. Your trip continues for roughly 25 kilometers towards Mannheim, our next stop along the picturesque Rhine for the remainder of the day. This young city is best explored with an extended walk, or alternatively you can take a trip to the nearby city of Heidelberg, which boasts a beautiful Baroque old town. Late at night, your ship continues in the direction of Rüdesheim.
Two charming stops await you today. In the morning, arrive in Rüdesheim, a town well known for its winemakng, especially Reisling wines. Nearby, Siegried's Mechanical Music Cabinet with its historic automated musical instruments is a delight. Your AMADEUS ship will depart punctually at lunchtime, to cruise the most beautiful section of the river – the legendary Upper Middle Rhine Valley. The view from the sun deck, of the myth-enshrouded Lorelei, is sure to be a highlight of your cruise. Shortly thereafter, we arrive in Koblenz, one of Germany’s oldest and most beautiful towns, where you can end the day with a leisurely stroll through the city.
The vessel departs Koblenz in the early hours, and makes a detour along the Mosel River to the most romantic part of the valley and the little town of Cochem. The magnificent Reichsburg castle is situated high above the town, dominating the landscape. Down below, the village with its narrow streets, half timbered houses, and numerous restaurants are an ideal setting to taste the wines of the region. Back on board dinner is served as the journey continues to Cologne.
The morning is dedicated to the fascinating city of Cologne, which has over a million inhabitants. You can expect a young, vibrant metropolis with a rich cultural history and many world-famous sights, in particular the famous Cologne Cathedral. A city tour here is a must for everyone with a cultural bent. After lunch, your floating hotel departs Cologne. The afternoon is spent on board and in the evening, the captain invites you to a festive Gala Dinner, full of wonderful regional dishes.
By lunchtime you will have crossed yet another country border to arrive in the Dutch town of Hoorn. This picturesque village is a jumping off point for the optional overland trip to the north of Holland and Amsterdam. For those remaining onboard, discover the beauty of the Dutch Watwerays as the ship glides toward the capital city of the Netherlands, where it will remain docked for the evening.
After breakfast we bid you farewell. We hope to welcome you again soon!