Classical Danube Cruise
Budapest → Passau
This cruise begins in Budapest, Hungary's exuberant capital, and then upstream along the Danube to Passau in Germany. Highlights are sightseeing visits to Regensburg, Passau, Salzburg, Vienna and Bratislava.
A visit to the Benedictine abbey of Melk and a drive through the picturesque Wachau district are also memorable. On this journey you get to know much about the heart of Europe - its countries, peoples and cultures.
* The cruise departing on the 19.04.2018 with Silver II has a slightly changed itinerary
What is included in the tour
- City tour of Budapest
- Excursion to Szentendre and Estzergom
- City tour of Bratislava
- Guided tour of the Imperial Schlosshof Palace
- City tour of Vienna
- Guided tour of Schönbrunn Palace
- Concert "Sound of Vienna"
- Dürnstein walking tour and wine tasting
- Excursion to Melk Abbey
- Linz walking tour
- Full-day excursion to Salzburg including Salzkammergut and lunch
- Passau walking tour
- Regensburg walking tour
- Excursion to Weltenburg Abbey
- Fascinating river cruise in on outside river-view stateroom of your choice, most with French balcony or drop-down panoramic windows; Walk-out balconies in Suites on Amadeus Queen, Silver I, II & III
- Complimentary state-of-the-art audio headsets for all excursions
- Services of an experienced, multilingual Cruise Director
- Gourmet dining with all meals included (buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack) in the elegant Panorama-Restaurant, which accommodates all guests in one seating
- Free-flowing quality red & white wines from Europe’s famous wine regions with every dinner on board
- Coffee and tea after lunch and dinner
- 24-hour complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner and Captain’s Gala Dinner
- Special onboard entertainment including lectures, cooking demonstration, onboard music performances and nightly music by the Amadeus Duo in the Panorama Bar
- Complimentary use of onboard bicycles
- Non-smoking environment (smoking permitted on the Sun Deck)
- All port taxes and local taxes
Welcome to your Danube cruise! Your journey begins in Budapest, where you will embark in the afternoon. Subsequently, you will be greeted in style by the on-board personnel at a Welcome Cocktail. Thereafter, you can explore your AMADEUS ship. In the evening, a Welcome Dinner awaits you, followed by an atmospheric evening cruise through Budapest, as well as a Hungarian folklore show.
On the first day of your cruise, discover the beautiful sights and attractions of the Hungarian capital. Take a walk or a city tour to explore both the Buda and the Pest sides of the city, both of which boast beautiful Baroque buildings. Your ship leaves Budapest at lunchtime. In the afternoon, you can join an excursion to two picturesque destinations, both with a rich history, namely the former imperial residence and capital of Hungary, Esztergom, as well as the artists’ town of Szentendre. Your ship arrives in Esztergom in the evening, where passengers who chose to take part in the afternoon’s expedition will rejoin the ship. During dinner, your ship will depart for Slovakia.
In the morning, we call at our next capital city - the Slovakian capital of Bratislava. Walking through the city, see the home of the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra, the old city walls, the summer residence of the archbishop and the current residence of the president of Slovakia. You can also walk through the restored old town, from Michael’s Gate, and admire sights such as the Primatial Palace and St. Martin’s Cathedral, a former coronation cathedral for Hungarian kings. This afternoon's optional excursion offers the opportunity to visit impressive Schloss Hof, a former Imperial Palace acquired in 1726 by Eugene of Savoy and redesigned to impress Empress Maria Theresia - with its aristocratic palace, terraced garden and tranquil estate farm. Enjoy dinner onboard before the vessel departs Slovakia, and crosses into Austria.
There is much to see in Imperial Vienna: its palaces, Museums Quarter displaying works by artists Egon Schiele and Gustav Klimt, the impressive buildings along the Ringstrasse, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and the famous Vienna State Opera among many others. This afternoon perhaps venture to Schönbrunn Palace, the sumptuous summer palace and gardens of Empress Maria Theresia and the Habsburg empire. This evening offers an optional excursion to attend the “Sound of Vienna” and listen to the “Alt Wien” orchestra play popular pieces from Vienna’s classical era - a perfect end to your Vienna experience.
The romantic Wachau is one of the most beautiful landscape regions of Austria, and in the morning your AMADEUS ship docks in Dürnstein, a town well-known for its first-class wines, which you can taste during the morning sightseeing walk. At lunchtime, your cruise continues towards Melk and Emmersdorf. Enjoy magnificent architecture and fascinating glimpses into history on a visit to the Benedictine Abbey of Melk, which is approximately 900 years old and is the largest Baroque abbey in Austria. In the evening, your ship leaves the Wachau and heads for Linz.
Early in the morning, your ship reaches the erstwhile cultural capital of Linz. You have a choice between a full-day excursion to the Mozart-town of Salzburg, or a sightseeing walk through Linz. Those who opt for the latter will reembark at Aschau at lunchtime and cruise towards the Bavarian town of Passau. In Passau, you have the opportunity to take part in a sightseeing walk, whereafter the guests who opted for the Salzburg tour will rejoin the ship. This eventful day culminates in an elegant Gala Dinner, to which the captain will invite you personally. In the meantime, your ship will continue to Regensburg.
In the morning, your ship arrives in Regensburg, which boasts one of the most beautiful old towns in Germany. After breakfast, enjoy the cultural treasures of this romantic town during a sightseeing walking tour, while in the afternoon, you can visit the well-known Weltenburg Abbey with its own brewery, where you can taste its famous, dark Weltenburg beer. In the evening, a traditional Bavarian dinner awaits you on board and afterwards, your ship heads for Passau.
In the early morning, you reach Passau, the last stop of your cruise. After a generous breakfast, the entire AMADEUS crew thanks you for your patronage, bids you farewell and wishes you a safe journey home. We hope to welcome you again soon!